Finally some delicious fried chicken without using a tonne of oil!
Ever wanted to make some juicy and crunchy fried chicken but doubled back when picturing the amount of oil you’ll need? Guess what! You don’t always need all that oil or any at all with this Oven Fried Chicken & Waffles recipe!
After discovering the wonders of making fried chicken in the oven (don’t knock until you’ve tried it!) I’ve only been making it this way especially for bigger pieces of chicken like thighs, drumsticks or wings. It’s a hit with family and friends and always a surprise when they ask how it’s made. However, if all you have is chicken breast right now, no problem! We’d recommend that you try our Addictive Popcorn Chicken recipe which is fried using a bit of oil (coming soon).
To top off this scrumptious oven Fried Chicken, what better than to pair it with some savoury waffles and sweet soya syrup! This Fried chicken recipe uses an asian inspired marinade, however, you can also marinate it with herbs or sauces that you love and still use the same cooking methods! Now let’s get cooking!
This recipe mixes the preparations of a typical asian inspired fried chicken with the magic of an oven! So what are you waiting for? Let’s do this!
Oven-Fried Chicken & WafflesCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: various, asian, fusionDifficulty: Easy, medium
Quick tip: If possible, marinate your chicken over night or at least for 6-8 hours for maximum flavour!
oven-Fried chicken & savoury Waffles ingredients
- Oven-Fried Chicken
8 chicken thighs
2 cloves Chopped Garlic
2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
3 table spoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cups of corn starch or flour
- Savoury Waffles
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- The sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 teaspoons chopped ginger
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Direction for the oven-fried chicken
- Score your chicken thighs near the bones so it cooks near the bones more easily and lightly rub some salt on your chicken pieces and let sit for 10-15 mins.
- Toast your sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat continuously moving them around so they don’t burn, once you see them turn a golden brown they’re good to remove from the heat.
- In a big bowl or recipient put in all your chicken pieces and add your sesame oil, light soya sauce, minced garlic, pepper, sugar and give it a good mix – now cover the bowl and let marinate in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius
Place a parchment paper on your pan, if you’re using aluminum foil, you’ll want to lightly cover it with a bit of oil or butter to lower the chances of your chicken sticking.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down for 7 mins.
- Then flip the chicken skin side up for 20 mins.
- 10 mins after flipping your chicken skin side up, use a basting brush (or spoon) and brush the juices released on top of the chicken and let cook for another 10 mins your chicken skins should be golden brown.
- Depending on the size of your chicken thighs you might want to check if the juices are still pinkish/red, if so cook for 5 more mins if necessary, to make sure it’s cooked through. However don’t leave it in for more than 30mins max to make sure it’s still juicy!
- Direction for the savoury waffles
- Sift the flour in a large bowl and add the baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk your eggs, milk and oil.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients making sure to crush any lumps and mix until you get a smooth mixture.
- Direction for the sauce
- In a sauce pan, heat your vegetable oil.
- Add in your chopped garlic and ginger as well as the white/light green parts of the green onions.
- Add in the rice wine vinegar, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce and chicken stock and let simmer on low heat until bubbling.
- Add in the sugars and in a cup mix your cornstarch to 2 tablespoons of water and add into the sauce pan and mix well until you get a honey like consistency.
- Mix in the toasted sesame seeds and sprinkle the green onions on top and its ready to serve with your chicken and waffles.
- • Many of these ingredients can be slightly tweaked to your own taste, for example if you really like ginger you can add a bit more.
- • Always taste your sauce and tweak from there.
- • To make your sauce thicker mix in a cup mix a bit more corn starch to water and add it, be careful to add little by little as it goes a long way and can quickly thicken up.
• To make it lighter add a bit more chicken stock.
Inspired by The Woks of Life