Who doesn’t like the smoky flavour of a good chicken skewer! Sweet, sticky and juicy, this Asian Styled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers recipe is perfect as an entrée or served with steaming hot jasmine rice as a main dish! Accompanied with fresh or pickled cucumber – it is a combo made in heaven!
These chicken skewers will take you straight to the streets of South East Asia! Walking by the street vendors, immersing yourself into the cultural vibes and discovering the delicious food stalls. What’s even better is that they are really easy to make. You can marinate the chicken well in advance and even freeze it for a few weeks. Thus, they are also perfect for those mid-week quick meals! Simply defrost the marinated chicken, thread them through the skewers and place them on the grill! And Ta-daa! Delicious and hassle-free!
Moreover, you can use this marinade to marinate other types of meats; pork or even tofu for a vegan version. Vegans, swap the oyster sauce with vegan mushroom sauce and honey with brown sugar.
Cooking Method: You can cook your chicken skewers on a BBQ grill, in the oven, on a skillet or just in a frying pan. However, if you want an extra smoky flavor, grilling then on a BBQ is the best.
And for other Asian inspired dishes click here.
Asian Styled Honey Garlic ChickenCourse: Something Light, HangryDifficulty: Easy
½ cup oyster sauce
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
½ tbsp Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-3cm chunks
¾ tbsp canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ tsp toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- In a large bowl, combine oyster sauce, ketchup, honey, chilli garlic sauce, Dijon, garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon water. Reserve ¼ of the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add in the chicken; marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight, turning the chicken occasionally so they are evenly coated.
- Then thread the chicken onto skewers. Brush with canola oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is completely cooked through. Brush skewers with reserved oyster sauce mixture, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
- If you have leftover marinate; in a small pot over medium heat bring the sauce to a boil to make a dipping sauce. Or serve with hoisin or sweet chilli sauce.
Recipe Inspired by Damn Delicious