The Great General Tso Chicken Recipe, is one of the best and easy asian comfort food you could make at home. As a student, that was the go to dish to get from the Chinese fast foods. But trust me when I say once you make this, it won’t feel anything like fast food. And you’ll want to keep making it again and again!
This recipe combines all the delicious sauces with fried chicken bites! Balanced out with a garlic and oyster sauce Bok Choy and white rice. It’s a dish that’s easy to make for all cooking beginners. Also for students don’t need to make it in big portions it’s easy to adjust.
This Great General Tso Chicken Recipe has the steps to make a simple popcorn chicken. So you could always skip the sauce and just used the marinade for some delicious fridge chicken bites. Perfect for having people over for a game night. Add it to your lists of snacks or starters.
I mean look at that gooey sauce around this crunchy chicken. Eat it fresh off the stove and it’s a mix of sticky sauce and crunchy chicken. Every time we make this dish at home, there are no left overs!
Click here to check out our Chinese New Year inspired recipes. Full of Asian cuisine from all over the world for even more inspiration!
The Great General Tso Chicken RecipeCourse: Hangry, Main DishDifficulty: Easy
2 Chicken breasts
2 cloves finely chopped Garlic
2 dried red chillies
3 cups Corn Starch with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Sesame seeds as toppings
Green onions as toppings
- The chicken marinade
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- The Sauce
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark soya sauce
200ml chicken stock or 1/2 a Maggie chicken cube diluted in 200ml warm water
- Cut up your chicken breasts into bite size, like popcorn chicken pieces
- Put in a bowl and add your marinade ingredients, sugar, light soya sauce and sesame oil let sit for 30 mins to 1 day for extra flavour
- In a shallow bowl prepare the corn starch with salt and pepper
- Finely chop your garlic and let your dried chillies sit in a bowl with boiling water
- In a small bowl combine your sauce ingredients, sugar, rice wine vinegar, sriracha, sweet chilli sauce, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, chicken stock
- Once your chicken has marinated, beat your egg and mix into the chicken
- In a deep pot pour in vegetable oil enough to be able to deep fry your chicken bites
- Dredge marinated chicken in the corn starch and deep fry
- Place fried chicken on a plate with paper towel to absorb all the excess oil
- In a large pan or wok, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry garlic and dried chillies, once the garlic starts to turn brown, add your sauce and let simmer on low medium heat for a few minutes
- In a small bowl add 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water to dissolve, add to the sauce to thicken
- Once the sauce has thickened turn off the heat and add your chicken mixing to cover every single chicken bite
- Top with sesame seeds and green onions
Recipe inspired by School of Wok