Did you know that carrots are the second most popular vegetable after the potato? Well, being such a versatile and easily accessible ingredient there’s no doubt why it is so famous. This roasted carrots and chickpea (with honey and fennel seeds) recipe takes humble ingredients and transforms them into a delicious festive dish.
Roasting carrots is one of our favorite ways of cooking this vegetable. It not only enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots, but caramelizes the thin tiny ends. They become so sweet and juicy; it’s like eating candy!
There are many honey roasted carrot recipes out there, but ours with the fennel seeds and chickpeas surely stands out from the crowd. The subtle and slightly peppery taste of the fennel adds a middle eastern twist to this classic dish.
For this recipe, we suggest using baby carrots. Tender and naturally sweetened; roasting them with a dash of honey brings another depth of flavor.
Part of this special festive edition; we partnered with local producers and artisans to showcase their products in our recipes. In this roasted carrots recipe, discover the delicious Honey of “Les Ruchers de Senneville”.
To see how to accompany those roasted carrots, click here to check out our Festive menu and table setting for even more inspiration!
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas – with honey and fennel seedsCourse: Something lightDifficulty: Easy
750g baby carrots
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 head of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp honey (from Les Ruchers De Senneville)
Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200C and line your baking tray
- Wash, scrub and trim the carrots. Place them onto your baking tray
- Halve the garlic head crossway and toss it onto the tray
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp olive oil, fennel seeds and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the marinate mixture onto the carrots, making sure each carrot is well coated
- Roast for about 20-30 mins or until the carrots are tender
- Remove the tray from the oven, scatter the chickpeas, then drizzle with the remaining olive oil and honey
- Put the baking tray back into the oven and roast for another 10 mins or until the carrots are well caramelized and chickpeas are golden.
Recipe inspired by Donna Hay